A focus of the kid’s ministry team has been teaching our families The Lord’s Prayer. We are going line by line so that our children can learn it AND understand what it means. This is a foundation of the faith that we want them to cling to the rest of their lives.
Today, I wanted to break it down for you so that it’s more than just reciting words in your house, it actually means something!
Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name
- We are God’s children and He is our father.
- He lives in heaven.
- Hallowed means holy. He is our father but he is still holy.
Thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven
- Heaven is a pretty great place. We know that we will be in God’s presence all the time in heaven. We are asking for his peace and joy on earth.
Give us this day our daily bread
- We are asking God to give us enough energy and patience and joy for TODAY. It is not a matter of “super-sizing” – we can’t come to God once in a while and expect that to be enough.
And Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us
- We need God to forgive our mistakes and we need his help forgiving others.
And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil
- It’s hard to do the right thing! We can ask God to lead us AWAY from the wrong thing and lead us TO the right thing. How cool is that?
For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory forever and ever. AMEN
- We know that God is great and forever and we can have confidence in that! I love thinking that God and His power are greater than anything else. They will outlast any problem or relationship or concern. He is forever and ever!