Happy Thursday, Munger Kids Families! It took very little thought for me to realize no one needs my opinion on anything(though I am always happy to give it!). So, today I thought I would tell you about a bible verse that God reminds me of over and over.
Do you have a favorite bible verse? Something that pops in your head more than anything else. God tells us to write His word on our heart (Deuteronomy 11:18). I don’t do it as well as I should, but when I do take the time to memorize scripture, God is faithful to bring it to my thoughts often.
Okay, here’s mine(well, it’s actually two verses) – 1 Thessalonians 4:11-12
“and to make it your ambition to lead a quiet life: You should mind your own business and work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody.”
Everything about this verse feels opposite to what the world tells us! Let’s break down some words in this passage. Kids, you help answer the questions about each of these bolded words/phrases.
- Ambition – When you think of ambition what comes to mind? For me it is accomplishing a big project. Ambition is a goal you work really hard toward. Your actions and thoughts are totally focused on that task.
- Quiet life – Wow, so God is saying the one thing I should work really hard for is making my life “quiet”. What do you need to change to make your life quiet?
- Mind your own business – Is this hard for anyone else to do? What are some practical ways to mind your own business? For me, it is not always saying a thought that comes to mind about someone else.
- Work with your hands – I love this! What does this make you think of? For me, I think about working on a farm, but that is not super relevant to my daily life. Also, you know what is opposite of working with your hands? Sitting down and watching TV or an iPad. God is calling us out of our own laziness.
- Daily life – Often, I am focused on what God has for me in the big picture that I don’t honor Him in the small moments. What makes up your daily life? For me it’s eating and playing and reading and doing chores.
- Respect of outsiders – Why is it important to win the respect of outsiders? God doesn’t call us to be liked, but people should be able to look at our lives and tell they are different because we follow Jesus.
Everytime I read this verse, God shows me something in my life that I need to surrender to Him. I hope He does the same for you! I would love to hear what God is teaching you in this season.