This is one of those weeks when you can feel something coming – even if you had never read the Bible before or had never even heard whispers of the story, you’d feel something coming. It’s like when that eerie music starts to play during a movie and you know a surprise plot twist is about to drop. So here are a few things to think about during this week’s readings:
Monday – 2/25:
- Today’s theme seems to be not understanding. Sometimes things about God and faith can be confusing. What question do you have about faith? (We realize this is opening a huge can of worms and that’s why we only have one bullet point today. Some ways we’d like to help is A) You don’t have to know the answer immediately. It’s ok. B) You can answer, “I don’t know. Let’s figure it out together.” Then you start to research together. C) Please feel free to email me any questions you can’t answer. I will work with you on finding answers or at least giving some explanation. I don’t have all the answers either, but hey, let’s research it together.)
Tuesday – 2/26:
- Peter was the first of his followers to call Jesus the Messiah. The Messiah was the Savior the Jewish people were waiting on. It was someone who was supposed to come and rescue them. They had been waiting for The Messiah for a long time.
- What does it mean to you that Jesus is The Messiah?
- Take a minute to share with your kids what it means to you that Jesus is The Messiah.
Wednesday – 2/27:
- Jesus makes a huge statement today! He predicts something that’s going to happen in the future. What is it?
- This is a huge turning point and his buddy Peter doesn’t like it. Why do you think Peter didn’t like it?
- Jesus knew God’s plan all along. Even though it was hard and wasn’t going to be fun, he chose to follow God no matter what.
- What’s something hard that you think you need to do to be faithful?
Thursday – 2/28:
- In this special meeting, how does God describe Jesus?
- God has already described Jesus like that once before in our reading. Can you remember when? (It’s during his baptism. See p. 9)
- Take a minute to tell your child how much you love him/her and why you are pleased with him/her.
Friday – 3/1:
- Today Jesus predicts his coming death a second time in one week’s worth of readings!
- He had spent time with his disciples for a while now, healing, teaching, and caring for people. This was a huge plot twist, or change in the way things seemed to be going. We know that Jesus’ death was bad, but that wasn’t the end of the story. Jesus had another plot twist left in him – he resurrected from the grave!!
- For this whole weekend, anytime there is a plot twist in a TV show, movie or book, let’s see who can say, “Jesus is the Messiah!” first. That will help us remember that even though what he’s saying sounds bad to start, he had something great in store!