In Sunday School, our preschoolers have been working through a series on Jesus’ miracles. We’ve been talking a lot about faith. They may need a little prodding, but your preschoolers should know the word FAITH and what it means. (We’ve been using a paraphrase of Hebrews 11:1 – faith is believing in something you can’t see.) Ask your children what they think faith is and see if they can give you a couple examples.
The first story in this series was Jesus’ first miracle: turning water into wine at the wedding. Our second week we talked about Jesus’ healing miracles, specifically the centurion’s servant. In that story, Jesus tells the centurion that he will go with him to see his servant. But the centurion says he knows Jesus can just make the command right there and heal the servant without seeing him, touching him or even being in the same room as him. Jesus was very impressed by the centurion’s faith and so he did it – just like that! Jesus could do all these incredible things no one else could do because he was a Son of God.
Today, in our third lesson on miracles, we talked about Jesus calming the storm. Key points to the story are:
- Jesus had been teaching crowds of people all day long. They followed him and his disciples wherever they went. Jesus and the disciples needed some rest. (Remember, Jesus was the Son of God, but he was also a person like us. He got very tired at the end of a long day and needed sleep.)
- Jesus and the disciples got into a boat to go to the other side of the sea. Jesus was exhausted and fell fast asleep in the back of the boat.
- [Now here we are going to have some fun acting out our Bible story. Actions help little ones remember the story better than just hearing it.] The storm came and the water was coming into the boat really fast. The disciples were getting very scared. They woke Jesus up and yelled, “Teacher, don’t you care if we drown?”
- Jesus got up and said to the wind and waves, “Quiet! Be still!” Immediately, the wind died down and it was completely calm.
- Jesus asked his disciples, “Why are you so afraid? Do you still have no faith?” The disciples were super scared and asked each other, “Who is this? Even the wind and the waves obey him!”
Only the Son of God can have such power that the wind and rain listen to him. Most of the time we can’t even tell what the weather is going to be like the next day (especially, here in Texas ;).
We’ll discuss things God can do that we cannot do. God is so powerful! He is always with us when we are afraid and he will never let us sink!